Saturday, March 18, 2006

Let's Dance

The first round of the NCAA Tourney has come and gone and brackets are busted -- mainly due to Bradley (Kansas was a fairly popular Final Four pick) and Northwestern State (Iowa was overrated btw). Of course, my Spartans laid an egg to George Mason last night ending a pretty crappy season. A couple of number 1 seeds got some scares, but Memphis and UConn both moved on. Side note: statistics say that eventually we will get a #16 seed that beats a #1 seed. I'm not a betting man, but say like you put $10 on each number 1 seed each year -- $40 a year, not a big risk. Eventually that number 16 seed will pull it off and you will reap the rewards -- would it be a sound investment? I don't know Vegas-lines on the 16-1 match-ups and I don't want to do the math to see if it would be a feasible thing. Anyway it would be nice to say that you picked the #16 seed when they beat the #1

Now to the analysis of my brackets:
CWRU Swimming (Yahoo)
Currently in a 3-way tie for 7th place (out of 37). I like where I'm sitting. I've got all of my final four picks left -- Duke, UCLA, UConn, and BC. BC did give me a scare in the first round, but pulled it off. This is the most personal group, as I know most people involved in it. Its fun looking at everyone's picks and seeing who took it seriously and who not. My kudos to Ray for picking an All-Big 10 Final Four, but right now 2 of those teams are headed home.

Deadspin Pants Party (ESPN)
Awkward Moments are sitting in the 11.6th percentile. Stellar performance I must say. Already 2 of my elite eight teams (Kansas, MSU) are gone, but all Final Four teams remain -- Duke, Gonzaga, UConn, and Villanova.

Awkward Silences are apparently without a group. I meant to join the Daily Quickie group, but apparently I didn't. So this is a bracket just competing in the whole scheme of things. This one is doing a bit better then the Moments and are in the 61st percentile. All FF teams of Texas, UCLA, UConn, and Villanova are still left. Again, Kansas hurt me here.

We'll see how I'm sitting after the second round games. After seeing the Awkward Moments in the 4th percentile after thursdays games, I had a thought. Everyone plays to see how WELL they do in the brackets. They should start having brackets to see how BAD you pick. Of course the scoring and logistics would be a bit harder...but picking the teams that are going to lose is about the same challenge as picking which teams are going to win.

No comments: