Thursday, April 13, 2006

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Did you know that I'm running the Boston Marathon on monday? Heading out friday morning. For those that have nothing to do, or want to waste time at work, you'll be able to follow my progress online. BTW, you can search for me by name or by bib number -- I'm lucky number 3178. It is being televised on OLN, but none of the cable systems I know (here, home) carry it. SOL. Here are some pertinent links:

BAA/Boston Marathon
Idiot's Guide to the Boston Marathon
Boston Marathon Split Calculator

The last one calculates splits based on the variable terrain of the race. Feel free to play around with it. If you don't want to waste time at work, here are a range of splits that I will be in:

Pace 10K Half 30K Finish
6:40 41:25.5 1:27:20 2:04:16 2:54:48
6:30 40:23.4 1:25:09 2:01:10 2:50:25
6:20 39:21.2 1:22:58 1:58:03 2:46:03

Of course these splits are based on even splitting. I've negative-split my first two marathons and want to run a strategic race in Boston. The first part of the race features a significant downhill. People have a tendancy to run too fast and trash their quads. By the time they get to the hills from miles 16-21 they are paying for it and till the end they are in a world of hurt. I plan on running very conservatively (if that first mile was right aroun 6:45 I'd be VERY happy) at the beginning so that when the time comes I can attack.

I probably won't update this until I get back on tuesday -- look for a full-fledged, more then you can handle recap and race review.

2 comments:

ekGreer said...

YAY MARK Boston marathon! How awesome. Yay go team!

Anonymous said...

Nice Job Mark! It looks like you ran a great race! Congrats!!!