Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Don't Call it a Comeback



*Tap Tap* Is this thing on?
Its been awhile but I'm still here. I thought it might be a good idea to do some catching up. I'll try to keep it short, but my most die-hard readers know this won't be the case. First things first, I'm starting something new. As the title for all my posts come from a song lyric, I thought I'd put up a video for that song. This may not always work as sometimes I use obscure songs, but I'll do my best. Today you are treated to LL Cool J. That's Ladies Love Cool James for my readers not in the know (ie Mom and Dad).

I survived my first training trip as a coach. This went as smoothly as I could have hoped. The weather, the pools, the hotel...all got thumbs-up from the athletes. Oh yeah, the kids also trained their butts off. I was more then pleased with everything. We all had a great time and I know we're looking forward to next year.

Sadly I had to return from Florida but then I spent 10 days in Germany with the OFOMOL for Christmas and New Years. We had a wonderful time together. The weather was a little colder then I expected so I had to pick up a new winter coat while I was there. Yeah, I'm the dumbass who didn't pack one. As my old winter coat was 5 years old, I was in the market for one. I was able to pick up a nice European jacket -- one with the removable fleece liner. Its also in orange and black, very apropos for my job. Of course the saleswoman immediately tried to get me to buy the one for 300 Euros. Nope, sorry. Anyway, we're in a nice department store in downtown Dresden and go to check out. Since I'm travelling I'm carrying limited cash and use my debit card for other expenses. Well, this store does not take credit cards. How does this happen? I mean, McDonald's takes plastic thesedays. But over in Europe, its a little different. How are you supposed to cater to travelers like myself? Fortunately the OFOMOL covered it and I owe her. Hopefully the dollar doesn't lose any more value to the euro.

We took a side trip to Prague between Christmas and New Year's. What a beautiful city! We had a nice hotel right off the metro. The great thing about Prague is that it wasn't destroyed during WWII so the buildings are still preserved in their original state. It's also pretty cheap. We had a couple of really nice meals. For example, for $30 (thats in US Dollars, not Czech Koruna) I had a shrimp cocktail, main course, cup of tea, and a sprite while she had two glasses of wine, and a main course. Quite a deal. I also enjoyed that they spoke english there, so I was able to order things and talk with the merchants. Speaking of merchants, there are all sorts of shops for tourists to spend money. A lot of these places are pretty small. But you know what you can do? You can use a debit/credit card to pay for stuff. Now there is a concept that other places could adopt! I got to try some Grog -- rum, hot water, and sugar. The Czechs like to put a lot of rum in there. As it is a hot drink, you want to keep it warm, but the level of alcohol can limit this. I took it like a man and drank it up. I doubt I'll be having one of those again.

The visit to Europe was great. This was my first Christmas away from my family and even though her family doesn't speak English, I had a great time with the OFOMOL and her family. They made it feel like home.

Monday was a both a good and bad day. tOSU played what is, IMHO, their worst game in the Jim Tressel era. It was the first time that he was out-coached. The team look flat, they fell behind and didn't know how to respond. Whatever game plan (offensively and defensively) they had didn't work and the team wasn't able to adjust to what Florida had schemed. Anyone who followed them realizes this game isn't indicative of their season. 12-1 with a 2nd trip the BCS Championship game in 5 years is quite an accomplishment. Tressel will be back and will be hosting a crystal ball yet again.

As for the good news, well guess which band will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum? Yes, R.E.M.!!!!! Like it was ever a question. One of the cool things is that Patti Smith (who heavily influenced all members of the band) is being inducted too. The other inductees are Van Halen, Grandmaster Flash, and the Ronettes. I'm looking forward to the traditional all-star jam. That should be fun. Its also curious as to who will induct the band. I mean their influence is profound and there is a laundry list of artists who could induct them. As good of music as they put out, their influence is equally parallel. They were leaders of the 80s college-rock/indie circuit. They put out an album a year from 83-88 and supported this with constant touring. This lead to their superstar status of the early-mid 90s. Bands these days look at them both musically and what they stand for. Yes I am a biased opinion, but this is truly worthy of everything they've done over the past 27 years.

Alright, hopefully I can get back on the horse and be a little more regular in this new year.

6 comments:

Judge373 said...

Yea, I was pretty disappointed about the OSU game...first time I've seen them really choke in years.

About credit cards in Germany - Germans aren't as comfortable with using credit as we Americans are. I've read before that it has something to do with all the debt and economic issues that they went through earlier this century, so they have a habit of disliking anything besides hard cash. It's also part of the reason Germans have a relatively high rate of savings. Although, when I was there most places would take my American debit card.

Anonymous said...

hey...you are back! Great! So, now you only need a haircut...
Great to read the nice words about your trip here...believe me, I had an amazing time too!
About the credit card issue: Tom is right. Germans are not so much into the whole credit card thing in general. Students, for example, always have difficulties to get one issued from a bank due to their lack of liquidity. And that is especially sweet when you wanna go abroad. Good thing my mom works at a bank. The credit card system also works differently. On every 18th of the month, I have to pay back the whole amount I put on the card during the last month.
Okay, so far my contibution to the credit card discussion. Talk to you later, Hase!

Dwayne Rudd said...

Go with the fro! And grow a mustache, while you're at it.

Its curious why debit cards would be treated the same as credit cards (are they?). I mean, debit cards ARE cold hard cash, just in a different form of payment.

Judge373 said...

I suspect that using credit in Germany would depend on where you are and where you're shopping. The times when I did use my Visa check card I was usually in major cities in the former West Germany, often in cities where tourists are common.

I've looked up "debit card" on almighty wikipedia. The article mentions that many German merchants don't accept credit cards because of the higher fees German banks charge. Apparently there is a difference between "on-line" debit cards and "off-line" debit cards. "On-line" cards require immediate verification of a transaction, usually by entering a PIN number, while "off-line" cards don't require that. My Visa Check Card, for instance, is primarily an "off-line" card that can also be an "on-line" card where one enters a PIN code. I suppose that German merchants never bothered enabling the "on-line" transaction method.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I cannot agree with J. I would highly recommend you get rid of the facial hair as soon as you can! At least during the next 11 days...

Anne said...

Grog rocks