Monday, October 16, 2006

I Was Never Cool in School

A couple of updates...looks like FNL isn't getting the ratings NBC has hoped. It's a lot better then its competition of Dancing with the Stars (sorry sisters/mom). Tuesday at 8:00, give it a try. Other TV stuff, I'm a big fan of How I Met Your Mother, but The Class is just awful. That doesn't, however, stop me from watching it. It's one of those things where I know I'm not enjoying it, but I keep going anyway just to see if maybe there's a light at the end of the tunnel. My conclusion -- it must be a very long tunnel or there is no light.

CFB...MSU got destroyed by OSU on saturday. Not a big surprise, however...John L is as good as gone. Of course this means a new coach that will bring in a new feelgood era of perpetual mediocrity. Whenever MSU plays OSU it gets me thinking about loyalty to a team. I was raised as a Buckeyes fan. Throughout the Cooper years where we'd be just good enough and then lose to Michigan and then to current Tressel-ball era which has resulted in 1 National Championship and one of the premier programs of the last 5 years...it's been fun. Two years ago, however, I entered Grad school at MSU and suddenly I'm a fan of a Big 10 school that I actually attend. So when MSU plays OSU, who do I cheer for? Well despite being an OSU fan, I have no ties to the school and actually attended MSU. That being said, I feel that after all these years I should cheer for OSU. I came to the decision that I'll cheer for OSU except when they play MSU. Of course MSU sucks so royally this year, the point is moot.

As a fan of OSU, I'm actually cheering for Michigan to win. I want that on November 18, there is a colossal matchup that surpasses all the hype that will surely precede it. Of course, UM has to survive the #2 jinx that has seen 4(?) #2's lose over the past month or so.

Well, I've had some requests to discuss a certain topic. Yes, I made my official competitive debut as a collegiate swim coach. It was a long weekend that involved 2.5 drive friday afternoon and then back that night. We got back at 12:15 and then had a 6am departure saturday morning for an 8:30 am meet. It was originally scheduled for 12:30 but for some reason that I don't understand, a top-10 football team is much more important then a swimming meet. There were some good swims, and I know where we need some work. It was a long weekend and the kids did a lot of swimming and were tired. That said, I was pleased with the last relay, although I have to get one of my swimmers to take his 100 out faster -- 25.0/25.7 were his splits. And yes, we do team warm-downs despite the complaints. It's good for them. I was pleased with how things went. I keep telling the kids -- we train for february. We use these meets and progress reports to let us know how the training is going and to work on little things like turns, breathing patterns, and stratergery. Then when we get to conferences, everything is cake.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you mean you don't understand how a college football game is more important than a swin meet? I think you just answered your own question in your 2nd & 3rd paragraphs.

Anonymous said...

I hope every swim meet will make you as talky as on that special Saturday night ;o) And don't forget - all your work will pay off in Feb...and Marmelade Bretzels are waiting for you soon.

MoL said...

I hope "GWIAT" understands that I was making the remark about swimming and football facetiously.