Sunday, October 01, 2006

Why Don't You Quiet Down?

Anyone that knows me, knows I'm...well, how do I put this...I can be unique at times. Call them personality traits, quirks, eccentricities (nah, I don't like that one), or whatever. We all have them, some may argue I have them more then others (I'd love your feedback on this). This is who I am and most of you seem to put up with it.

I started a new "project." Most of us have a jar (or something similar) where we put all our loose change. These jars seem to accumulate more change then they lose. For students they can be a blessing to save quarters for laundry and raid snack machines. At some point we're faced with the daunting task of trying to get rid of these coins and this usually entails going to the bank and making rolls of pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. Then the process begins again. It's a vicious cycle.

A couple months ago I made the decision to take matters into my own hand. I've been making a concerted effort to use change when paying with stuff. Yes it takes a couple of extra seconds to pull out the requisite coins...but I'm making progress. It's also nice to receive just bills as change rather then a handful of coins. Usually its the cashier who gives US the change...I'm giving THEM change.

The second part of my project is to give support to the penny. Yes, the good 'ol copper Lincoln penny. The coin which we all collect and seldom use. Its often seen as a nuisance and people (including lawmakers) want to get rid of it citing its lack of importance and cost to manufacture. The debate rages on. I believe in the penny. I believe we should all be using pennies in our cash transactions. I'd much rather get a nickel/dime/quarter back instead of 1-4 pennies. Plus there is the fact that so many people "horde" pennies and don't use them...by me (and others) actively pushing people to use the penny, they get back into circulation and the cost goes down. Yes I know I'm one lonely blogger and this is read mainly by my family and friends...but I encourage you to use the penny. Take the time to pull out 1-4 (or even more!) pennies out of your pocket and get them back into circulation. I make a habit of always having at least four pennies in my pocket for when I go shopping. This way I can ensure that I get non-pennies back. In the scope of my project, I try to take enough change to make sure I only get bills back.

I realize that at some point I'll be rid of all of my change. Then I'll just reach an equilibrium point where I've always have some change in my possession but I'll be constantly using it. In closing, I want you to use the penny and give it some love as it is a valuable part of our history and our culture.

That said, you can now commence making fun of me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found that the best place to spend pennies is in the self-checkout line at the supermarket.

Anonymous said...

you say you don't want to waste time rolling up your coins and taking them to the bank, but what about the extra time you are wasting digging through your pocket, purse, wallet or whatever? That's wasted time as well.

Not to mention the waste of the time of the person standing in line behind you while you dig out your three cents. If I'm ever in line behind you, I'll pay for your change just so I don't have to sit there while you waste "my" time.

Anonymous said...

Friends of yours?
http://www.wvbloggers.com/index.php