Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Flesh You So Fancifully Fry

There is nothing quite like retroactive blogging, ya know?

As a reminder, this sunday I will be changing MOL's url to http://metaoflife.blogspot.com -- be sure to change your links & bookmarks accordingly.

So monday I was walking back from class and had the chance to pass by a protest that PETA, (this PETA, not this PETA) was doing. Having nothing to do with their organization I denied any opportunity for them to give me their "literature." Just after the fact I thought to myself, "Now self, you should say something praising all the virtues of red meat." This is because one of the by-products of the PETA campaign is to endorse a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle. Like always, I kicked myself for not speaking up.

Fast-forward to today. Again I'm walking back from class and again I go through this war-zone. Additionally, there was an artice in the paper regarding these protests. The PETA group is using large, blown-up images of animal cruelty and comparing these conditions to say...um...human slavery. Apparently this is not a wise analogy to make as a number of Black students are offended (rightfully so) and suggest that they [PETA] have no right to make this analogy. Seeing my opportunity ahead of me, I go balls-into enemy territory. Even as I was having a cell phone conversation with my sister, this did not deter the mighty force of the PETA protestor. I was quickly offered a card to take with me. I polietly declined and verbally suggested my preference to cooked animal product. This was their outer ring defense; I got by unscathed but was continuing on through the belly of the beast. Gaining momentum, and confidence, I quickly pulled out the big guns. Using my vocal skills which I honed through years of cheering at swim meets, I rightfully (and loudly!) extolled the virtues of such things as bloody steaks and seasoned beef and all things meat. The enemy was caught off guard and had no defense prepared. I had survived my trip through the gaunlet and raised my head a little higher as I continued my journey back to my dorm.

Now, I have nothing against vegetariansvegans. I don't necessarily agree with their eating habits, but I know plenty of vegans and don't think any less of them. What I have a problem with is extreme demonstrations like the one going on in this example. Does it ever cross the minds of these people (not just PETA, but all protestors like this), that maybe these graphic images and analogies that are stretching the truth, are a bit ineffective There are certainly better ways to go about getting your message across and in a much more civil way. Well it is PETA. IMHO, once this world is free of all the incruelty and rights-violations that go on with humans (hey China, are you reading this), well then we can move onto animals. From my perspective, these people would much rather save animal lives then human lives. That is all fine and dandy, but we should all really worry about our own kind first, because when it comes down to it, a single human's life is far more important then any animal's life.

No comments: