Wednesday, June 28, 2006

No Woman Can Resist a Man Who Looks Good in a Speedo

And with a title like that this post has to be good...right?

First off, I appreciated the feedback on the pet post. I have no problem with pets per se, its just when (like Mr/Ms Anonymous pointed out) folks care way more about the well-being of pets when there are plenty of humans out there that need help...that bothers me. Here is a nice editorial I found in USA Today yesterday.

So I went for a swim today. I've been doing this on a pretty regular (3-4 times a week) basis this summer. Luckily for me I get to swim outside in a SCY pool, which totally rocks my world. I get to be outside and I don't have to deal with a 50-meter pool. It's a six-lane pool, but they only have four lanes for workouts and the other two are for whatever (ie older kids to play in). This means that every once in awhile I have to deal with sharing a lane. The key to not sharing a lane is to swim down the middle and do lots of butterfly. Folks (recreational swimmers) get scared by this as butterfly is hard to do and go off in another lane. Anyway, I grab my toys and stand at the edge of the pool, getting ready to hop in. Then I notice a couple of boys (lets say 12-14 years of age) looking at me. They've got this look on their face that says "ewww, what's with the weird guy wearing a speedo." I've realized at that instance I've made them totally uncomfortable. Of course, I'm not the one that is uncomfortable. No no no no no. I've been swimming for a good 15 years...trust me fellas, I don't have a problem wearing a speedo. You guys are the ones that can't accept that young, non-European (sorry sweetie) guys wear these. And I'm not even wearing the traditional brief (well...I am, but that's underneath) as I've been donning the vastly underrated square-leg suit.

This leads to another concept that you swimming folks may appreciate. I'm involved with a group of young swimmers. I've noticed the proliferation of the jammer (that pic is for the ladies and my non-traditional male readers) as the suit of choice. No one wears the classic Speedo-style brief anymore. I get the fact that as a young swimmer starting off, wearing a Speedo is not the thing you want to do (we were all there fellas, right?). But gradually you accept this, deal with it, and then become comfortable with it. Then you realize that being a swimmer you have a pretty good body and don't mind wearing the Speedo outside of swim practice. Up until a few years ago, thats all we had, and we didn't mind. Now that jammers are out, these kids don't have to deal with the body image/confidence in wearing a suit that we did. Call me old-school, but I'll take a regular suit of a jammer any day, and I'm sure most of my swimming friends will too. The thing about the jammer is that at some point (as long as they stay with the sport) these guys are going to have to wear a real brief suit. It is much easier to wear one starting out then put it off and deal with it later. It's like asking a girl out -- the more you think about it and stress over it, the worse it will be. Just do it baby! Side note, I'm so used to wearing the Speedo-style suit that I actually feel weird wearing trunks/board shorts.

The other thing about the jammers and the boys I work with is that they wear them until they are too-stretched out. The point of wearing a real (not "trunks") swim suit (brief or jammer) is that it is tight to reduce the amount of drag on your body. These jammers have pretty much become trunks, they are that stretched out. The traditional jammer is only supposed to come down to the top of the knees. These suits are stretched so they come down below the knees and almost look like leg-suits. Of course the one high-schooler is ok in my book as he goes jammer-less with a square-leg suit.

I say down with the jammer and all wear square-legs!

1 comment:

LOBOGRIS said...

you got the point man. I was just looking for a speedo. I was swimmer when I was younger. I'm thinking on going back to the sport. I really dont like the brief so I'll go to the JAmmer or Squater-leg