Thursday, March 17, 2005

He's Going the Distance

So I've figured it out. For those that know me, I was a relatively successful swimmer for 13 years. I say relatively because I was able to compete at the NCAA Division III level for 4 years. Other then that, nothing remarkable except at one point I had the 5th fastest time in the 1650 in Case history. Although I can't fathom where I'm at now on that list. I did distance events and it seemed the longer I went the better I was. I've since retired from the sport (it was an emotional ceremony) and moved onto running. Marathons specifically. After running two of them it seems that I am probably a better runner then I was a swimmer. Oh well. I wouldn't give back all those years of swimming. Having done 2 marathons and finding the distance not terribly difficult I've been thinking "what's next?"

I really like the idea of pushing my body and seeing how far I can take it. I know at somepoint before I die (hey I could go tomorrow for all we know) I want to do an Ironman Triathalon. 12+ hours or so of swimming, biking, and running in the Hawaiian sun should be enough, right? Well before I do that (cause I have no idea when it'll actually happen) I'd like to do an ultramarathon in the next 2 years. Ultramarathons are defined as an distance longer then the marathon (26.2 miles). Really I'd want to do a 50 or 100 miler. Just to do it. See how the body responds to all the physical and emotional ups and downs associated with running for crazy amounts of time. And then I read this article today in the NY Times. Read the article (you may have to login) and you'll read briefly about the Badwater 135 mile race from Death Valley to Mount Whitney. Wow. I'm hooked and I can't stop starin'. I certainly see myself doing that before an Ironman. Oh yeah, Dean Karnazes, the guy from that article was on David Letterman tonight. I was studying downstairs and came up to the room. My roommate was doing laundry and left the TV on. As soon as I walked in, Dave intro'd him. Talk about perfect timing. He set a record for running 262 miles in a single shot. His speed obviously varied during the run but his last mile was like 6 min. now that's CRAZY MAN!

I'm becoming a night owl. I find myself staying up increasingly later watching mindless TV. Currently I've been catching up on Real World: Back to New York on MTVU. Gotta love Mike "The Miz" from good ol' Parma, Ohio. I really don't think you can stereotype Parma any better then him on that series (not considering his subsequent RW/RR challenges). What always gives me chills and a sense of...rememberance is the shots of the WTC Towers in that show. It seems every time I see them I'm reminded of the attack and that there are still battles to be fought and that we are always at risk. I diverge. I'm staying up later and later while getting up at the same time. Hey, that's what caffeine is for, right? Tonight my roommate tells me he's making a run for the border. I eat this crap a few (uh..2-3) times a year, so why not tonight? I just had a soft taco, and it was mmmm mmmm tasty.

Time for bed. Hopefully the TBell doesn't due me in in the morning.

Oh yeah by now it is offically St. Patrick's Day. Raise a pint of Guinness, have a shot of Jameson, and drink to the luck of the Irish. Erin Go Bragh!

No comments: