Thursday, March 10, 2005

Walk With Me Suzy Lee

So I finally saw Napolean Dynamite tonight. Any movie that opens with the White Stripes and includes the A-Team theme is alright in my book. I'll say it was a funny movie. I don't know if it was all-that-and-a-bag-of-chips like everyone seems to claim, but it was enjoyable. It was definitely not your run-of-the-mill comedy. Of course the highlight was the dance number at the end. I also liked the Kip meeting his internet girlfriend angle. I didn't 1) expect her to be black, 2) expect her to be attractive, 3) expect them to work out, and 4) all of the above. That was a welcomed twist. Thanks to one of the most mind-wasting, yet informative websites out there The Internet Movie Database I found out that Jon Heder was born in 1978 just like me. I thought he looked a bit old for a high-schooler. A side note on MTV for a second. Yes it is always fun to rip the original network for the fact that it doesn't actually play videos anymore and how it caters to teenagers who have no taste in music (elitest hipster comment), but their film division has put out some quality films that are atypical (in a good way) movies. Napolean Dynamite certainly fits under this category as done one of the highly underrated 1999 outing Election. If you haven't seen that , go rent it. It is a wonderful social satire on high school life in general and our larger democratic election process. Quite a delight.

What's with the newfound friendship of ex-presidents Bush and Clinton? They seem to be everywhere these days. I trace it back to the opening of Clinton's library last fall. Bush spoke highly of Clinton and shortly after the election they are all buddy-buddy. They're doing PSA's for Tsunami relief...they were out golfing the other day prior to Clinton's surgery. With the break-up of Brand and Jen I'd like to nominate them as the next celebrity couple. We could call them Buston or Clinsh...ok neither of those really have that zing like Bennifer, but you get the idea. Actually I like these two together. After the sour aftertaste that many of us had after Indecision '04, we need this "reaching across to the other side." Of course when you are an ex-president you really have no other political goals so its easier to do these things without the party heads getting all mad at you and stuff. Side note: everyone (aside from crazy right-wingers) loves Clinton, but 2 elections have passed in this P.C. (post-Clinton) era and the Democratic party is still living under his shadow. Until they manage to have another candidate as dynamic as him I don't give them much of a chance.

OK I went in a political direction there. I don't want this to be one of those blogs, but every once in awhile I'll touch on something I feel is important.

No comments: