Thursday, March 03, 2005

Brother Ray Can Sing My Song

Now Playing: Wilco -- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Well I saw Ray tonight. Wow, what a good movie. I'm no movie buff and this would be the first (and only?) movie I've seen that was nominated for a bunch of Oscars. I think Jamie Foxx did a wonderful job and was certainly deserving of the Oscar. I think it is really hard when a famous actor depicts a famous person. Very few actors have been able to transcend the role to where the audience stops thinking it as "oh look its so-and-so on the screen" as opposed to the character. Throughout the film I had to keep reminding myself that it was Jamie Foxx up there acting. Jim Carrey did a delightful job a couple years back as Andy Kauffman, but I really feel that Foxx took it to a higher level. It was a long movie (nearly 2.5 hours) but I don't mind a long movie as long as there is substance there. There was plenty of substance in this movie. Add in all the great songs from the Ray Charles catalog and you get a pretty special movie. I reccommend it if you have yet to see it.

And if you haven't seen me in awhile (nice segue, eh?) I'll be in the great Cleveland area for a few days. Yes yes, that yearly tradition of collegiate students heading south for a week of drinking, sun, and debauchery (one of my favorite words) has begun -- Spring Break! Technically I will be heading south, I will be drinking, the sun...the jury is out on that one, and hopefully debauchery. 2 with a possibility of 3 out of 4 is pretty good I must say. Of course I am done with classes for the week but I do have to endure 8 hours of work tomorrow. Oh well, it's a workin' man's world. And to top it all off there's nothing like going to bed when you still have stuff to pack in the morning.

No comments: