Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Each Day is Valentine's Day

A day late, but I hope everyone had an enjoyable St. Valentine's Day. You can find some information here or here on the fella who causes every man wincing in pain in having to succumb to societal ideals about giving gifts; and every woman pain over her beau screwing it up. Of course that is for traditional relationships. I'm sure it is easier for non-traditional relationships as those men don't give each other anything and the women know exactly what to give each other!

Anyway on monday I received a card from my parents. They are nice like that and send me cards for every relative holiday. It would be better if there was a couple of dollars in there, but the thought is what counts. So I open this card and in typical Valentine's Day fashion it is pink. It's got a pig (a pig...not sure what that has to do with V's Day) holding a heart and says "Hope your heart feels hugged" on the inside. It is also signed (in my mum's writing) "Love, Mom & Dad." OK, this is cool. Every card I get is signed like this. But for whatever reason this time around I start thinking about it. It says Mom & Dad. Mom....&... DAD. The DAD part is what pops out at me. Having both names implies that Dad helped pick out the card. I picture my parents at the store looking at the cards and my dad opining..."no...I like the pink one with the pig, I think my 27-year-old son will like that one...not the one with the bikini girls. Yup, the pig it is" I'm pretty sure my dad has NO CLUE I even got a card. If he did have a say I'd definitely be getting the bikini girls. I'd rather at least get a card that is signed something like "Love, Mom...your father is too lazy and men aren't suppose to share emotions with each other but he still cares about you." This is by no-means a slam on my parents. Just quit the charade that my dad actually helped with the card...have him actually sign it or send two.

So apparently there is something called the Olympics going on. Those involved in sports (especially some of my swimming buds) know that acronym DFL. For the uninitiated it stands for Dead.......Last. I have smart readers, you can fill in the blanks. Well DFL is keeping tabs on who finishes DFL in each event. (via Deadspin)

There was something else I wanted to post about...but can't remember. Oh well, it's floating off in cyberspace somewhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One time the card was signed by my dad, I was shocked.