Saturday, February 04, 2006

I'm a Liar

So on thursday I said I was going to have my Super Bowl XL preview/prediction up on friday....so I didn't get to it until today. I apologize to all of my faithful readers.

Before I get onto the matter at hand, a couple of associated thoughts. Since I know a substantial amount of international students I've been asking them if they are going to watch the Super Bowl or if they've ever seen it before. We always watch the game and hear about how there are millions and millions watching across the globe and how the Super Bowl is truly an international event. Nevermind the fact that this is a strictlyl American sport which is pretty much ignored anywhere else. Anyway, all these international students respond that no, they've never seen it. Steve Rushin offers more opinon in this week's SI.

What else? Oh yeah, there is that whole cliched-to-death opinon of "I just watch it for the commercials." Apparently there will be an ad with MacGyver/MacGyveresque (didja know his first name was Angus?) and the next shot will be fired in the razor-wars (click on Fusion).

Onto the game....so we have a #1 seed (the Seahawks) that has been playing terrific all year but is somehow the underdog versus a #6 seed (the Steelers). I'm sorry, how can a team that did not win it's division and have to win its final 5 games to make the playoffs be favored over a team that has been doing it all year? Not to mention that Seattle has NFL MVP, Shaun Alexander on their team. I'll take him over the combination of Bettis/Parker any day. What else...quarterbacks. Big Ben has gone from the anonymity of the MAC to the Super Bowl in 2 years; Matt Hasselbeck, better known as brother-in-law of Survivor alum hottie Elizabeth, certainly has the experience and the better numbers. Coaches -- gotta give props to the dual mustaches (when are those finally going to be trendy again?) but remember that this is Holmgren's 3rd SB in 10 years and he already has one ring...this is Cowher's 2nd in 11 years. Defenses.....Pittsburgh has the edge, but only by a few. For me it comes down to two things -- can Seattle put enough points on the board over the Pittsburg D? If they score over 27, then Big Ben & Co cannot keep up and the game will be a route. If the Pittsburgh D holds strong, then I see a game coming down to Special Teams with a FG deciding the game. I give the edge to Seattle here. Ok, so I guess it is pretty obvious that I'm picking Seattle (an unsexy pick btw) to win: Final Score: 27-17.

Oh yeah for those keeping track, two cities have never hosted or been in a Super Bowl -- Cleveland and Indianapolis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From my perspective you have analyzed the match-up well with the exception of - who wants it more? Will Bettis rally the troops to a win in his hometown?

On a college b-ball note, I'd be interested in your ruminations about the Big Ten race and the disappointing Spartans.

Anonymous said...

As I said. . .

"I predict Hasselbeck chokes"

Two fewer Seahawks Ints, and maybe its a game.

Seattle's offense is good, but not THAT good. If Alexander had gotten more sweeps, it would've been a better gams.