Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Here We Go

In case you missed it there was something resembling a football game on sunday. As any self-respecting Cleveland Brown's fan, I promptly cheered for Seattle. But congrats to my native Pittsburgh-area friends: Jess, Miller, BJ, and Bluemle (I hope I spelled that correctly). I know the game has been analyzed to death, I still feel compelled to let my feelings be known:
This was probably the worst-played SB I've ever watched.
Yes, the officials stunk it up. I'm not saying it was a conspiracy against Seattle, but I sincerely object the PI and Holding penalties. More so the PI -- this is the Super Bowl folks-- let them play for goodness sakes! The receiver barely touched the defender, c'mon now. And I'm still not convinced Big Ben scored.
Speaking of the wunderkid...a QB rating of 22.whatever....as TMQ let's us know, if every pass falls incomplete, the QB rating is 36.something. What were you thinking throwing that pass that was intercepted? I'm convinced BB is overrated and has been the beneficiary of having a wonderful supporting cast.
Bad clock management on Seattle's part. Apparently Mike Holmgren has already won a Super Bowl, but you wouldn't have known with the way he handled things at the end of each half.
Commercials: nothing wow'd me (do you sense a theme here) but I enjoyed the promo of the new ABC show "Sons and Daughters." Gillette now has a six-blade razor (5 on the main area, plus one on the back for sideburns and what-not) but I guess Hitatchi has a 10-blade one.

Onto other topics:
You can get your Mr. Pibb + Red Vines = Crazy Delicious t-shirt here. Join the minions of wanna-be-hipsters! I thought about 2 seconds about buying one and then my senses got the better of me.

Last week both Bonnaroo and Coachella announced their lineups. There are a lot of overlapping artists. Good bands at the 'Roo: Radiohead, Petty, Beck, Elvis Costello, Death Cab, Bright Eyes (hate to admit it), Ben Folds, Matisyahu (to see if he's all really just schtick), My Morning Jacket, Cat Power, Nickel Creek, Steve Earle, Malkmus!!!!!, Son Volt, Clap Your..., Rusted Root, Devandra Banhart, and Mike Doughty. At the 'Coach: Depeche Mode, Franz Ferdinand, Sigur Ros, MMJ, TV on the Radio, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Cat Power, Devandra Banhart, Massive Attack, Block Party, Oakenfold, Matisyahu (again to see...), Sleater-Kinney, Mogwai, James Blount, Ted Leo, Go! Team, Art Brut, Stellastarr*, Minus the Bear, and Youth Group. Having been a 'Roo veteran (2004 yeah!) I can testify to the wonderful organization behind that one and with a lineup that I'm more into this time around, I would be more than inclined to go (any takers?). After drooling for several years at the Coachella fest and wanting to travel to the desert of SoCal, I feel they are taking a step back this year. It is a bit of a financial commitment, but a multi-day music festival is some fun times. If you have a chance to go to either, I would encourage you to do so.

I mentioned a couple posts back about Pandora and the Music Genome Project. TMT has an interview up with the founder of MGP. Very insightful and sheds some light on how they do things. It is quite a complex process.

No comments: