Friday, July 14, 2006

I Know - Its Serious

Just some random stuff today. I've been on a bit of Smiths kick the past couple of days. Unfortunately I only have the compilation, Louder Than Bombs which is lacking some of their essential tunes, namely, How Soon is Now?, The Queen is Dead, and Girlfriend in a Coma. Well I really wanted to hear the last song so I made a request to the Impact. That's one of the great things about college radio, they play your requests, and do it in a quick manner. Anyway the DJ announces she's playing this song for me and wondered why I was requesting it. Yeah the lyrics are a bit grim (hey, its the Smiths) and it would definitely be filed under Sad Bastard Music. Sometimes we want to hear a song for no reason more then we just want to hear the song, thats all. There was no meaning here, and I definitely do not want my girlfriend to be in a coma. BTW this is a great read about why the Smiths should never reunite.

Every once in awile I like to stop and thank all of you who read my drivel on a regular basis. There are millions of us bloggers out here just trying to get heard by anyone other then our friends and family. People actually write some good stuff; it does take a bit of time and effort to discover it. I'm continually updating my links over on the right as I discover more more blogs that I find value in. So I encourage you to check those out (and their links) and if there is something you like, leave a comment -- trust me, we love it when random folks leave comments.

For example, Tortured Fans put up a great video the other day that I commented on. Through other comments, I found thatchick who publishes two blogs: Dude, WTF and 9th Layer of Hell. Both of these link to other NEO-centric blogs. Reading some of the titles (BitterFans, Disappointment Zone, God Hates Cleveland Sports, The Burning River, and The DiaTribe) of the sports blogs, there is no reason not to believe that Cleveland sports fans are bitter, cynical individuals who want nothing more then a championshp. Side note, we just want one championship -- not a dynasty or anything like that, just one where we can say "Yup, we were on top." The I found Random Thoughts where I left a comment (if it appears) about the breakup of Weezer (it's about time!). So you see, blogging and commenting is the gift that keeps on giving, that is unless you are Mike Cooper.

Aside from the literary blogs, I'm all about the music blogs (audioblogs). Really that is how I discover new music. Check out some of those sites, and download some of the stuff they put up. You'd be surprised (or not) by the quality of stuff out there. And if you don't like the song, you can just delete it. Although I've kept everything I've downloaded in the past 18 months or so -- I'm at like 400+ songs all from the audioblogs you see on the right. And Pitchfork has even gotten into the act, launching their "Infinite Mixtape" earlier this week. There are a lot of keepers in there. Stop listening to the radio (if you haven't already) and start tuning-in to the bloggers.

3 comments:

Ben said...

yes, just one. we don't even care what sport. not like those damn chicago fans who bitch about the cubs but seem to forget about those 6 Bulls championships.

MoL said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MoL said...

Seriously...and then Boston winning the WS, did they forget about all the sweet Celtics teams they had or the Patriots? I read a great quote a year or so ago that went something like "What makes Boston any different then any other team that has won the WS once in the past couple of years?" (see: Arizona, Anaheim/LA/California, Forida).