Sunday, July 09, 2006

If I Don't Get My Football Back

Currently watching the World Cup final. I can't believe this has been going on for a month and I've barely commented on it. Few of you know that in my journey to athletic greatness (finishing 416 out of 20000+ at Boston is my idea of greatness, but really this is meant tongue-in-cheek) began back in 1st(?) grade when my parents told me I was playing soccer. I had no idea what this game was and the first year or two consisted of 15 or so elementary kids chasing a ball around aimlessly. Well as we grew in the game, the team improved and we became a respectable team. Most of the team was a grade above me (they did it by birthyear -- since I'm a December baby, I was one of the younger ones on the team), we didn't have a team after 7th grade. I went on to play middle-school football and then continue swimming through HS and college. Anyway, soccer holds a special place in my heart.

Watching the final game here, I notice that Italy are wearing Puma unis while France is wearing Adidas unis. I know I have shared this with some of you, but I thought I'd put it out here for everyone. The two companies share a rich history. Adi Dassler (founder of Adidas) started his company back in the mid-20th century in Herzogenaurach, Germany. Side note, the proper pronunciation of Adidas is with the accnet on the 3rd syllable, not the 2nd like us Americans do: a-di-DAS instead of a-DI-das. Anyway, Adidas was a family company run by Adi and his brother, Rudolf. At some point in the 1940s the brothers had a falling out. It was such a falling out that Rudolf moved across town and started his own company, Puma. To this day, no one knows what happened between the brothers, and it is likely we never will. There was an attempt in the 70s by Phil Knight (of Nike fame) to reunite the two families, but it didn't happen. Here is a nice article that explains it some more.

PS: The US tied Italy on an own-goal....does this do anything to change our crappy performance in the WC? i.e. "Well, we did TIE the champions...."

PPS: What was Zidane thinking? Sad way to see him go.

No comments: