Wednesday, June 08, 2005

The Words Are Coming Out All Weird

A perfect example of why NOT to have a blog

Ahh yes the whole internet revolution has been whith us for a good 10 years now. In my unofficial account of things, we'll trace it back to the release of good 'ol Windows 95. That really set forth for where we are today. The internet started out as this cool new-fangled way that was going to revolutionize the way we lived. In some regards that is true. I don't think any of us could imagine a life without the internet. On the otherhand, I'm convinced that at least 95% of the internet is useless information designed to make us a less-productive society. Ask any college kid with a high-speed internet connection. It comes time to study and its like "Oh man, I don't wanna do my work...lets check out the score of the game, or lets play another game of poker, or lets see who's on IM."

Ahh yes, IM, that wonderful tool of communication. Or is it? The internet, and IM particularly, has elicited a whole new way of speaking. Or writing. Whatever you want to call it. People (notably teenagers) use such appreviations as 2day for "today" and u for "you." And it just goes downhill from there folks. One abbreviation (if you even want to call it that) is kewl for "cool." It's the same number of keystrokes folks! It's not gonna save you anytime! This IMspeak is one of my biggest pet peeves. I find it disturbingly hard to read things where people write like this. Miss Anduthinkuhaveitbad's blog literally gave me a headache. I read only a few sentences before I wanted to take a gun and shoot the webpage.

One thing that I feel is overlooked in this whole IMspeak is the generation of kids who are growing up using improper English. I'm not a teacher and I'm by no means an expert in the English language. I'm willing to be t though, that there are kids out there who try to pass this so-called language off when they write papers and homework for class. It sets a bad precedence for these kids. I honestly worry about the future for these kids and our country if they don't learn the proper spelling & usage of our language.

No comments: