Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I Thought I Knew What Love Was

I've decided to carry on with the baseball theme that I ended with on monday.

The annual MLB All-Star Game (aka the Midsummer Classic) was last night and for the 8th time in a row the American League came out victorious 7-5 over the National League. And for the 3rd straight year the American League will have home field advantage for the World Series. The lone Indians rep, Mr. Bob Wickman had a less-then-flattering appearance. He allowed 1 run without recording an out leading the the ever-statistically-significant ERA of infinity. It's always fun when that happens.

But let's suck on the good of the 2005 Indians for a moment. Headed into the 2nd half of the season they are 47-41, good for 3rd in the AL Central and more importantly, 2 games out of the Wild Card race. That leaves 74 games left, but only of which 29 are against teams with records of .500 or better. This means that 45 games are against teams whom the Tribe should beat down. I like our chances of gaining the AL Wild Card and apparently so does ESPN's Page 2. Along with the Indians & the All-Star game, did Travis "Pronk" Hafner get the shaft or what? The guy is 1st in the AL in OPS, 1st in On-Base %, and 2nd in Slugging %. And the guy can flat out smack the ball. Maybe in retrospect, not signing Jim Thome wasn't such a bad thing afterall. One last note for any baseball statistic-philes. You gotta check out Baseball-Reference.com. It's got team-by-team stats for every year and player imaginable. In fact, even after all their years of ineptitude, the Indians still have a .510 winning percentage.

I'll leave you with a bit of an IM conversation I had earlier today:
Female Friend: so hurry up and get rich so we can get married
Me: on one condition
Me: this may be a little forward, but would you make babies with me?
Female Friend: haha
Female Friend: your rich right??
Me: ha ha, yes in theory
Female Friend: sure, why the hell not
Me: cause I want to breed so I have athletically and intelligently and beautifully superior kids

1 comment:

ekGreer said...

Mark, i will not have babies with you, but I would like to request that you give me money. Just for bring pretty. Thank you please.