Saturday, August 20, 2005

I Picked You Out, I Shook You Up

I was once in an awfully boring seminar when a friend and I decided to start checking out the fairer sex. We compiled a list of the most attractive women in the room. We both had a consensus #1 and the question was brought up "Is she out of your league?" I replied with something along the lines of "She's at the warning track. If I play all my cards right and the stars are aligned in precisely the right places, I have a chance with her." This is a question I've gotten more then once and so it's got me thinking about the whole "In Your League" subject.

In retrospect, my reply to the question was not that accurate. I replied more to the question of "Is she in your ballpark?" versus "Is she in your league?" If I was taking the analogy correctly, to be in the same league, I'd have to work butt off in the minors to reach the big show. Even then I would have to prove myself and perform on a consistent basis to stay in the big time. This is what I was alluding to in my response above. I'll put this out there, I can be a bit vain and Narcissistic at times, but I'm also well aware of the limits of my physical attractiveness. I'm a pretty good looking guy (can I get a witness?) and depending on the following factors: hair, facial hair, occasion, motivation, and wardrobe I can range from looking like a scrub to looking A-OK. In the scope of the League analogy, I consider myself a lifetime AAA player. I may have been called up to the majors a few times due to injuries/September call-ups, but I've never been able to prove myself and stay there. And you know what? I'm ok with this.

This League analogy fits well with the whole now-outdated "Baseball" references that we learned as youth to describe physical interactions with people we were dating/whatever. Side note, how skewed is this reference these days? I'm sure if we asked 4-6th graders, we would probably be shocked by the answers they gave us. Love & dating is a lot like baseball, specifically with us single folk. We go through slumps. Sometimes we go through extended hitting-streaks when we are clicking on all cylinders. We'll make the occasional error now and then. Some of us are patient hitters who will wait for the pitch they want to drive it to the opposite field. There are others of us that freely swing away and don't worry about striking out. Sometimes we get injured and do a rehab stint at the A or AA level. We might hit a home runs there and do well, but we'd rather be performing at our natural level. And sometimes we'd like that shot in the Big Leagues, just to show you what we've got.

2 comments:

ekGreer said...

well mark, the league vs. ballpark debate has been raging for years. okay no it hasnt. But here are my un-asked for thoughts...

"in your league": you are a team now... you could be the yankees, the red socks, the indians, you name it. good or bad. and its kinda stagnant from year to year. yech.

BUT! if you look at it like "in your ballpark" you are again an individual, and you could be in a big ass stadium. and there are lots of girls who will fit in the Jake. sure, some are nosebleeds, but some are 1st baseline, and SOME are suites (perchance the Jacobs suite, which I know so well from working there).

So what I'm saying is, you have lots of ladies around you who are perfectly fine and well within your ballpark. even if you are in the cheap seats or you splurge for good seats once in awhile.

getting carried away with the analogy. that was fun. see you later kiddo!

Anne said...

Go with the soccer analogy (or what I understand about it, which is admittedly not very much!)

There are 4 levels here- it all depends on numbers, but some losers always get relegated into a lower level. The Champions of the Premiemership (the top level) get to be defending champions the following year and they qualify for a European competition (girls with hairy pits, ??)

The bottom 3 team losers from the premiership get relegated back to the "Championship League" (what a misnomer!!). BUT- you always get a chance to move up through your own hard work. And, if you don't work at it, you can't just rest on your laurels. You get thrown back into the commons with the other fugleys.

So my advice to you Mark? Try hard to stay in the Champions League, and when you make it to the Premiership, know that you must work hard to stay there!