Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Naked Naked Foul

So I moved into my new room on saturday. I'm enjoying my new digs. For one, my old room was in dear need of major cleaning/reorganization so this move helped me to do that. I've got more storage room then I know what to do with. I'm sitting here looking at the bookshelf and only 1 of the 6 shelves is full. And 3.5 of them have nothing on. I need to fill up on books or something. I also took time to reorganize my CDs. It has been quite awhile (years) since I did that. So they are now in alphabetical order. We'll see how long they stay that way. Then there are the walls. I've got too many of them. Or more specifically, I've got too many BARE walls. I need to spruce the place up. Give it some of that great Mark personality. I did go to the poster store yesterday. I picked up a new R.E.M. poster. It appears to be from the 2001 Reveal-era. I also got a poster with a very vivid red rose and it says "Passion: Nothing in the world has ever been accomplished without passion." I really bought it for the imagery of the rose. I could do without the hokey saying on it, but I'll live. I also picked up a couple of 8 x 11.5 poster cards. One is the CBGB logo and the other is a 4 x Marilyn Monroe Warhol. I'll have to pick up some more to express my personality and give warmth to my room.

I didn't move far, just up to the 4th floor from the 3rd. A seemingly innocuous transfer. I have noticed, however, that I have been using the elevator more. Primarily going up. I can actually justify using the elevator now. The 3rd floor is kinda the limbo floor of the elvator world. Yeah, you can use the elevator to go up, but it's 2 floors man, you can walk it. Whenever I did take the elevator to the 3rd floor I felt like a sham, a scab. I could feel everyone's eyes in the elevator looking at me and thinking to themselves "who is this guy that can't walk up 2 flights? That makes one more stop and wastes my time to get to my room." Now that I am on the 4th floor, I can rightfully justify using the elevator. Not just that, but I've started to become an elevator snob myself. I find myself looking down on those that take the elevator to any floor below mine. Does this mean that those on the 7th floor are the ultimate elevator snobs of my building. In their eyes, do they think that anyone below them should take the steps? The only time I take the elevator down is if I'm doing laundry or moving something. I always take the steps down and it abhors me when I see someone standing on the 2nd floor waiting to go down. Its kinda funny because I'll see them waiting and I'll be down on the ground floor before them. It takes what? 10 seconds to walk down 1 flight of stairs. And here they are waiting for an elevator to come. Then they have to wait for the doors to open, get on, doors close, then move. That is an eternity folks. Just walk down the damn stairs. I tell ya, elevator culture is tricky subject.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Mark that is an excellent post!

Anonymous said...

Mark, I love you....but why the hell did you buy a poster if you don't like what it says on it? Just asking.

MoL said...

Re: Anne,
Did you really enjoy the elevator-culture analysis or are you just making fun of me? Teets and I were discussing the tone of you comment.

Re: Kelly,
Hey you got some free panties out of me! If I honestly didn't like the saying that much, I wouldn't have bought the poster. Sometimes the whole "Successories" genre feels contrived, thats all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark :)
I live on 4th floor too but I rarely use elevator.
Walking up stairs is a good exercise!(not that you don't get enough exercise).
You are very smart though.
I have to say that I am impressed by your keen observation of the elevator culture :D