Friday, February 11, 2005

The Bar is a Beautiful Place

Lakewood to Ban Smoking in Bars?

When I first heard about this back in December I thought it was a great idea. Its not specifically the smoking that bothers me -- after all my years of frequenting bars I've come to deal with the fact that smoke is just part of the experience; its the smell that becomes part of you. How many of us hate the fact that after a night out socializing with our friends we come home reaking of smoke. The smell gets inside clothes and your skin and your hair. There have been many times I've showered the morning after a night out and smelling the smoke evaporate off me. Not enjoyable. I've got friends in New York who just speak wonders of the smoking bans there (they are state-wide). So I figure this would be a good thing?

Well this article really puts a strong point as to why the band SHOULD NOT happen. Many people I know talk about how Lakewood is "going down hill." My heart will always be in the city. I want it to continue to be a diverse and successful city. The bars are part of it. Lakewood more or less has a monopoly on west side alcohol consumption. If the ban takes place and the truths in this article hold true, my only question is -- where will people go? Most of the other suburbs have few bars/alcohol permits Fairview has a fair amount; River maybe a couple; Westlake a few; Bay none; North Olmstead some. But the thing is none of these cities have nearly the number that Lakewood has. And you know what? I hardly see River or Westlake picking up the slack. Face it, they don't want those crowds in their cities. Are all these people going to head downtown or to Tremont or to Ohio City? People go to Lakewood bars because 1) its cheap, 2) the variety of crowds at each bar, 3) its cheap, 4) the close proximity of the city, 5) its cheap, 6) bars are within walking distance of each other, and 7) did I mention how cheap it is to drink there? Right now I just think the economics take precedent over anything else. We'll see what happens.; I'll be keeping my eyes on this topic.

1 comment:

Anne said...

The smoking ban in Columbus just went into effect. I fricking LOVE it. Now, as for Lakewood...I doubt it will hurt business. People will just have to stand outside to smoke. Especially if they wait until spring or summer to institute it- people may be able to smoke on patios and such.