Thursday, September 29, 2005

Maybe I Ride, Maybe You Walk

I've been thinking about this one for quite awhile now, so I apologize in advance if I get a bit long winded here. Now that the disclaimer is out of the way and I lost half of my 12 readers, onto the topic of the day.

This year I am doing a considerable amount more driving around campus. This is mainly due to the fact that this year I am in a parking lot that is across the street versus a lot that is a solid 25 minute walk away. During my various travels across campus I have noticed 3 very-obvious and very-distinct populations -- the walkers, the drivers, and the bicyclists. Of course there is that guy on the Segway I see occaisionally but we'll ignore him for this discussion. Each has their own pros and cons. I will now offer a brief treatise/manifesto on these various populations.

The Walkers.
These people are the masses. They control who goes where and when. They are most powerful in numbers and crossing the street against a light. A lone motorist (or group of them) is powerless when their numbers thrown caution to the wind and cross when they most feel like it. Within the walkers there are two subgroups. You've got the fraidy cat walkers and the balls out walkers. The fraidy cat walks stop at every crossing and wait for traffic to clear to cross the street. These people have no will and no guts. These are the pacifists of the campus transportation groups. A driver will also look for these, often lone, individuals as the FCW will not impede the progress of any driver. On the other end of the spectrum you've got the BOWs. These folks (of which I am a pround member) follow the mantra that is posted on the yellow traffic signs that say "Yield to Pedestrians in Crosswalk." These folks have no fear and will not miss a step to enter a crosswalk. A car 10 feet away going 30 mph? Pshaw! Like I"m gonna stop! And yet they have a right to. That little yellow sign gives them all the freedom to cross and forces the drivers to slow down.

The Drivers
These are the most unpredictable of the 3 groups. Being a member of this group (yeah, I've got dual membership, I rock!) I have gained insight into the disharmony that they present into the system. Speed Limits are merely a recommendation. This is especially true in parking lots and parking garages. There are so many blind spots there I don't understand why there are not more accidents. Then there is the whole driver/walker interactions. The drivers like the FCWs ans the driver stays in power. Drivers need to be especially aware of the BOWs. There are several locations on campus (traffic circles) where there are multiple crosswalks in a close vicinity. BOWs have stopped multiple cars before and even when traffic clears, another one may quickly enter and continue to hold up a driver's progress. And since parking spots are like caviar when one is spotted a driver will take all risks to get to that spot ASAP.

The Bicyclists
This crew are the fewest in number but probably take the most risks out of the three groups. They constantly try to fit themselves through the narrowest of openings between people, trees, buildings, etc. They also travel at a higher then recommended speed which leads to problems. I've seen several accidents between fellow cyclists and between cyclists and walkers. It is usally due to too high of a speed and bad decision making. These people also think that it is a good idea to try and ride their bike while talking on their cell phone. SERIOUSLY dude, the call can wait. People think drivers with cell phones are bad...no...bicyclists are far worse.

The three of these groups come together at certain peak hours of the day to create a perfect storms of sort. I seriously fear for my life during these times when I'm out. There is so much unpredictability and chaos going on. I just try to drive slow and keep it safe for myself. If I get through this year without any sort of car accident...well I deserve something.

This post wasn't nearly as funny as it was in my head, but I commend anyone that makes it this far.

No comments: