Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Monkey to Man

Quick follow-up on my last post....the Big Ten laid a big egg this weekend. At least OSU kept it competitive. Thoughts -- Vince Young is a tough kid and one hell of a QB. This weekend MSU visits Notre Dame. Before you all jump on the ND bandwagon remember these things: of all opponents, ND has gotten beat by MSU the most (that includes Navy, Michigan, and USC), MSU has won at ND the past 4 times they have been there, and lastly, MSU has a high-powered offense and a vastly improved defense.

Now onto more pressing issues.

This week The Daily Show is presenting a theme week titled "Evolution Schmevoluion." Basically they are addressing how "Intelligent Design," a PC-term for creationism is increasingly being reintroduced into school science curriculums over the theory of evolution. To avoid getting on a soapbox (ha ha), what is going on in this country? I don't get it. Are we moving backwards? We, as a society, are supposed to be be moving forward into the 21st centruy not backward into the 19th century. Great use of italics there, eh? This country is becoming increasingly right-wing Christian, and I don't like. Mark, you say, are you both not right-wing and Christian? Yes. My religion (Go RC!) is an important part of my life and I am a registered Republican. I'll tackle these topics more in-depth in future postings, but not today. Although I am both of these things, I am by no-means the monster beast that is the Right-Wing Christian (from here-on out to be denoted RWC). RWCs live their life with blinders and live in a Puritanical and very Footloose way. These people seem to support Dubs no matter what and fail to see his short comings.

In contrast to RWCs, there are people such as me who are both right-wing and Christian but are able to put both in perspective and are able to make sane and rational decisions. There is a difference here folks. I believe in both Creationism...oops..I mean "Intelligent Design" and Evolution. As a somewhate devout Catholic I believe in a higher power that created this world of ours...as a novice researcher and through my various studies I also believe in the scientific process. RWCs read this and don't believe the two can go together. I say that they can. I realize the limitations in the creation story presented in the Bible; this doesn't mean I reject my faith and what it stands for. There is much more to religion, specifically Catholicism then the story of Adam & Eve...from what I'm told the emphais is on Jesus and his works and the writings surrounding him. We focus much more on that then how the world was created. Yes it is important, but really how often is it addresed at church? There is the discrepency between the Biblical time table and the evolutionary time table. I find it fascinating that constant discoveries of these fossils that are millions & millions of years old. I find it equally fascinating that the fossil record from monkey to man is still incomplete. We have yet to find thae infamous "missing link" It makes me wonder how many valuable fossils are buried under modern day civilizations. Oh yeah a few years back PJPII (RIP) announced that the theory of evolution could be accepted by Catholics. Good to know I won't be going to hell for that.

So these schools are teaching ID and there is no problem with this? It seems to be pretty obvious that ID is religion-based (where's the scientific proof?) and from what I remember there is this little thing called Separation of Church and State (SOCAS for those who like acronyms). This just bugs me. Since when has ID been a proven fact? While evolution is not without its holes, its a bit more scientifically valid then ID. I'm trying to think of an original witty analogy for this, but its too late. Anyway, hopefull this nation will get its heads out of its collective rears and realize the big mistake we're headed toward. Oh yeah, in conjunction with this and all the other crap going on, the GOP is gonna lose big next year (thanks mom for that tip-off).

On the lighter side of things, ever have a Pseudo-Date? Nick Miller turned me onto this phenomena once and it has struck a chord with me all day. That was in May of 2002 and that link is from August 2001. I would add another definition to the one that author lists: when one person has romantic intentions toward another and the two go out. The first person is unaware of the 2nd person's feelings so the whole time they are stitting there thinking "is this just a friend thing or is there a possiblity of us being naked at the end of the night." It is a great term to use....not necessarily a great thing to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have been watching The Daily Show report and am excited to see the next crazy adventure of Ed Helms. You have to admit that, as crazy as some of those people interviewed are, it's pretty entertaining. Plus, I like watching anything that includes a monkey in a diaper.

Anonymous said...

I find it difficult to love the RWC sect as RWC's purport the view that they are superior to everyone, do not embrace or tolerate diversity, even religious diversity. Also, RWC's are always spurting their superior Christianness, and in my opinion the most fundamental Christian principle is love everyone, but oh, no, they are not going to love you if you are Jewish, Buddist or gay, etc.

I know a RWC who even stated in front of his parents (who are not religious at all) that he only wants to "be around people like him," i.e. other RWC's who have bene brainwashed into giving up their mind to follow someone else's dictated beliefs. So, basically, this person is saying that he doesn't really care to be around his parents anymore, because they are inferior to him and they don't subscribe to his narrow beliefs.