Monday, September 05, 2005

They Were Cheering & Waving

Happy Labor Day Everyone. Click here for a brief history of the day.

Bonus points to anyone who can find the link to today's lyric & the topics discussed below.

R.I.P. William Rehnquist.
Dubs announced earlier today that he is nominating John Roberts to be Chief Justice. I first found this odd, as he [Roberts] isn't even on the court yet. Shouldn't the President nominate a standing judge to rise to CJ? Let's look at who's left: Breyer, Ginsburg, Thomas, Souter, Kennedy, Scalia, & Stevens. Obviously Dubs wants a conservative judge. Of those left, the two most likely candidates are Thomas & Scalia. These two, however, are two of the most polarizing and conservative judges. I do see a big cat fight from the left coming if he nominated either of these two for CJ. Roberts is fairly young and will be able to set a legacy of 20-30 years (depending on how long he serves) of the "Roberts Court." Add to the fact that the talk is that his nomination should have minimal difficulites getting through, and it becomes a more obvious choice & a smart decision by the President. And people say he's dumb! That leaves Dubs with another nomination. I could see him going with a more conservative nomination and maybe (hopefully) one of the women that was discussed when Sandy retired earlier this summer. Maybe one of you Law students (or lawyers) that read this could comment?

Well the opening weekend of college football is all but over (save for Miami/FSU tonight). It was quite the successful weekend I must say. I started the day on saturday by going out for a nice 12 mile run at 9:30 am (averaged 7:52/mile fyi). The KSU/MSU game was at 12, so tailgating was in full swing when I went out. What a beautiful day it was! As I ran through campus, I was joined for a few steps with a tailgater offering me some...um...liquid encouragement? 3:00 into an hour and a half plus run, I didn't think it was a good idea to guzzle down some beer. It was nice to see the sea of green & white around campus. I unfortunately had to work at 2:00 so I only got to see most of the 1st half of the game. My mum taught me well as I settled in my room with the MSU game on the radio and the TV switching back-and-forth between the MSU/KSU game and the OSU/Miami game.

My reactions: The MSU offense was on a roll! They rang up 685 yards of total offense including 354 on the ground. That's 2nd most in school history folks. To go with my comments from friday, KSU was Kent Defend. The MSU defense, which will decide how good of a year we will have, held KSU to only 14 yds on the ground. Next week we've got Hawaii at home then head into South Bend to battle with a Notre Dame team who were quite successful in Charlie Weiss's debut as head coach. That may be a high scoring affair. From what I saw of OSU, they looked pretty good. They've got Texas coming into the Horseshoe next saturday night for what will easily be one of the biggest games of the year. The beauty (or ugliness) of the BCS is that if you do lose, you want to lose early. So whoever loses (read: UT) isn't totally out of it. And if both teams win the rest of their games it bodes well for both teams (quality wins, only loss is to a top-5 opponent). One thing I like about OSU is that Tressel knows how to get his team up for the big games. He's found a way to beat Michigan 3 out of 4 years and upsetting a heavily-favored Miami team in the aught-three Fiesta Bowl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark -
I found your armchair commentaries on both politics and sports rather inspiring. I was hoping you would also treat me to some general finincial advice.
Thanks,
Kelly

By the way, thanks for the panties. I got black mesh ones.

Anonymous said...

Hey, do I get some mesh panties too?